There’s a reason why we call it the “living room”…we “live” here, enjoy with family and friends or just simply relax with a cup of coffee and a good book! We all have our own way to get the most out of this space. So making it look beautiful is very important. And let’s not forget, we usually have so much stuff that we need to figure out smart ways to design storage that pleases the eyes. The living room is a great place to go creative and come up with such solutions.
The first thing that comes to mind are shelves…simple floor to ceiling shelves can house tons of items, books, artifacts, stationery, photographs what not! Depending on the kind of things you want to display and the furniture in the room , you can choose a simple, new age look or a rough, rustic look or a plush, ornate look.
If you don’t want dust to get at your things or maybe want to store items which you don’t want your guests to see, closed cabinets are the best option…floor to ceiling and wall to wall cabinets are ideal for storing endless stuff. You can also go for a combination of shelves and closed cabinets or where only the TV shows (there is in built space to accommodate that)! Check out the images below for a clearer idea…
Other clever ideas are keeping pretty, matching bins (http://tinyurl.com/opytp64) under the coffee table or designing a stylish table around the sofa where you can arrange things both on top and underneath. Cushioned seating benches with box storage below is a great multi-functional piece of furniture. A narrow console or entryway table with bins or baskets in the space under, can help a lot too! See below for a closer look…
And here’s a real off the beaten track way of storing things in the living room without looking shabby…a staircase which leads to the loft and offers adequate storage simultaneously!
So, think different and make your living room unique 🙂
Photo courtesy: Houzz, House to Home, Digs Digs
The baby’s crib is the the centerpiece of any nursery. It is where your bundle of joy is going to be most of the time and parents always want the best for him or her. We are all familiar with traditional cribs but the human mind is always thinking of something new, something different…so here you will get to see some completely out of the box cribs, expensive but ready to blow your mind!
This crib made by an Australian company is eco-friendly, safe, with transparent sides and can be converted into a toddler’s bed when your baby grows up.
This Vetro crib is made entirely from recyclable clear acrylic and is convertible. You might think your baby is sleeping on air!
This bubble baby bed is transparent and designed to rock in a circle. Made from clear Plexiglas it is easy to clean and can act as a storage container when your little one grows up.
This crib is all about adding some rustic charm to the nursery…you can hang fun stuff from the tree branch.
The abstract zebra crib is funky with 2 stationery legs, 2 wheeled legs for easy portability and a “tail” which can be used as a steering mechanism.
Is this a crib or a carriage on wheels for your little princess? Well that’s fantasy redefined…the crib comes with storage space and a changing table too! The journey of motherhood is sure to become a dream with this…
There’s only one thing to say about this crib…it’s king sized!!
This quirky cylindrical crib is made from natural pine and will help you rock your baby gently to sleep 🙂
Photo courtesy: Trend Hunter and Oddee
Your bedroom is a place where you relax, unwind, and let your hair down. So it goes without saying that a clean and tidy room will always look more inviting than a shabby one, when you come home exhausted after a tiring day! This is exactly the reason why it’s crucial to control chaos in the bedroom and get organized…here are some great tips:
The traditional closet is always the first resort for most of us. A bit of clever designing can create adequate space…racks for hanging clothes, place for keeping folded items, closed cabinets, drawers for more delicate things, open shelves to hold bins which can house all the little odds and ends…
A very ingenious way to create more space to contain clutter is having a headboard which is also a wall unit! This trick uses more of the vertical space and does not encroach on the precious floor area. You can store anything you want here or even display some artifacts. Use pretty storage boxes if you don’t want everyone to walk in on your stuff 🙂
Under the bed storage is another great idea to utilize limited legroom. If your bed comes with drawers, great! If not, don’t worry…using some sober, coordinated bins can rise to the occasion very well. Use lidded ones to keep dust at bay and this way, you can store all your bedspreads, woolens or summer clothes without stuffing your wardrobe.
The simple bedside table has potential too…if it’s like a simple shelf or cubby, you can place the night lamp on the top and line up some bins underneath, just like a multifunctional piece of furniture!
The same goes for a window seat or bench with some space below. Just a couple of matching chic bins or baskets will hide mess and be visually pleasing at the same time…
Get inspired by our collection here: http://tinyurl.com/lnekw9r; http://tinyurl.com/kqtnd2y
Photo courtesy: Houzz and BHG
Designing a dream nursery for your baby is a wonderful adventure and you should be able to enjoy it! Don’t let the stress of financial planning overwhelm it…we have some tips on how you can decide on what to buy, the decor and what is important:
- Wall décor – using decals is a great but inexpensive way to brighten up dull, blank walls. They are easy to apply, removable, leave no sticky residue and can be re-positioned easily. So you can keep changing the designs as your tiny tot grows up, keeping pace with his choice and interests. Bold, bright colors and simple, well defined motifs help in nurturing the power of recognition and imagination in a baby. See more: http://tinyurl.com/kzeqlye ; http://tinyurl.com/lk8qm7a
- Multifunctional furniture – choose pieces which can be used for different purposes. For example, a dresser which can be used as a changing table or a crib that can later on be converted into a bed! A rocking chair is perfect for nursing and you won’t have to get rid of it in future. Such furniture is good investment…
- Storage – Simple shelves or cubbies will not burn a hole in your pocket. Abundant use of colorful bins can keep the clutter at bay and store toys, books, clothes and more! They are excellent for teaching kids, how to organize stuff, use space wisely and improve his cognitive skills. See more: http://tinyurl.com/qjyvg7e
- Gifts and Hand me downs – many parents have a lot of stuff that their baby has outgrown and they will be more than happy to give it to you. Say yes to such items if they are in good condition. Will save you a lot of unnecessary expense.
- Stick to the budget planned – no matter how much you love those cute little clothes or toys, resist the urge to splurge! Most of these things, your baby won’t need after some time. Buy what you really need.
- Do it yourself – there are many fun projects which you can try and unleash your creativity. Try your hand at sewing, painting, making craft items and see how unique they look!
- Be safe – this should be the prime concern while planning the nursery. Any furniture or decor that you choose should not pose any health hazard to the apple of your eye.
So, plan wisely, follow simple tricks and cherish this amazing phase of your life 🙂
Photo courtesy: “The Bump” and “iVillage”