Whether you bought that gorgeous pair of earrings yourself, or were gifted that sparkling bracelet by a loved one or were passed on the famous necklace your family has owned over years…jewelry has always been close to a woman’s heart! So it’s good to care for them so that they can be cherished for generations…here’s how:
Tips for wearing jewelry:
1) Never wear jewelry while performing tasks like house cleaning, cooking, gardening to avoid damage from chemicals, sweat etc.
2) Apply makeup before wearing jewelry to ensure minimum exposure to chemicals in perfume, sprays, lotions and cosmetics
3) Never wear jewelry in swimming pools or spas, to avoid reaction with chlorine water which can cause discoloration or permanent damage.
4) Never wear jewelry during any form of contact sports to prevent physical damage.
Tips for cleaning jewelry:
1) Remove any ornament before bathing because soap can make it appear dull over time.
2) Professional jewelry polishing cloths or svelte is best for cleaning jewelry. Tissues or paper towels might cause scratches.
3) Regular cleaning is ideal. Remember that alcohol solution can do wonders but bleach is a disaster! Use warm water while cleaning.
4) If jewelry is damaged or broken, don’t clean it before repair…the problem might worsen.
5) Since prevention is always better than cure, regularly check your ornaments for loose stones or any kind of damage.
Tips for jewelry repair:
1) Try to prevent any damage as much as possible to keep costly repairs away. Regular inspection helps!
2) Before trusting a jeweler with the repair, check for reviews and referrals of their work.
3) Be careful when the jeweler quotes a price for the repair. They should ideally have a standard price for a particular repair.
4) Learn exactly how the repair is going to be done.The procedure should be explained to you clearly so that you know, it will be done correctly.
5) While picking up a repaired piece, ensure that it has been done as requested and there are no flaws. Also the item should be perfectly cleaned and polished.
Storing and organizing jewelry:
1) The best way to keep your jewelry safe is to organize them neatly in a jewelry box. At Uberlyfe we have a host of boxes to suit myriad needs…compact, travel friendly ones, large spacious ones for use at home and even locker sized ones for the bank!! Available in different styles, colors and designs, they are simply awesome for all your “precious” requirements. All boxes are made from premium MDF with leatherette outside and velvet inside.
Check them out here: http://tinyurl.com/uberlyfe-jewelrybox
2) To prevent tarnishing of ornaments, keep anti-tarnish strips in the organizers to absorb oxidants!
3) Maintaining a detailed description, value and photograph of each jewelry piece is very useful in any unfortunate lost or stolen situation.
4) Always use an organizer while travelling with jewelry to prevent any damage or misplacement.
Photo courtesy: Why of Fashion, Indian Roots, Maipearls